Thursday, October 25, 2007

Grace Notes


I confess.
Every so often...
Even as a very blessed stay-at-home mom...
I long for a touch of encouragement.
A "Well done." A "Way to go tiger." - okay. Drop the "tiger" part :)
A "Wow. You do a super job."

Every so often...
God has recognized this deep longing in me and has sent incredible moments my way that lift my heart and encourage me. They fuel my "umphf" when I am down and set me on my feet again.

Well, just the other day, one of these blessed "grace notes" made its appearance.

It was a particularly difficult day. Struggling after numerous doctor visits, severe sleep deprivation, a post-natally adjusting body (and hormone system!!), and the "what if/what next" syndrome... a tear slid down my cheek and I asked God - please please PUHLEASE could you send a bit of encouragement.

Somehow, I just couldn't see the Light.

Not an hour or so later, my Mikayla comes up to me saying, "garbage." As is standard with all her attempts to throw things ever-so-helpfully into the garbage, I ask to SEE it before she TOSSES it. And there, in her pudgy little hand, is my purple ribbon.

This purple ribbon has a story, you see. It was given to me by a woman who deeply desires to pursue God. It was given to me at a time when I was seeking more of Him and less of ME. 
A time when I was pondering....
"walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace." 
Matt. 11.29, the Message. 

It was .... significant. 
Purple - the royal color of God. 
A simple reminder of the One who is worthy of all my praise.

And I LOST it.

And it remained hidden from my searching until just the right time. Until this specific moment when I would need a word of encouragement. And there, in my daughter's hand, God was showing me His presence once again...

And the corresponding bible verse that had been given with the ribbon...

"Behold I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands..." Isaiah 49.16a.

What an incredible comfort. What an incredible peace.
Thank you Jesus.

1 comment:

Roo said...

wow!! sooo incredible. Gods relentless pursuit after us! i know it in my head....but my heart does struggle to understand!

xo